Wednesday 11 February 2009

Lunch-time gossip-mongers!!

Lunch-times are always fun at work places. It's inevitably an exciting part of the day. During my first job, it used to be an hour long round-table sessions. With around 15-20 ladies, one can just imagine how interesting it will be! Well, there is no room for silence and those never-ending topics start from current world affairs to office matters and of course, gossips. Ladies the ultimate gossip-mongers, you may think.

Quite different is the situation here at my second work place. After a quick lunch, I start browsing through news websites based in UK to Middle east to India. I realize this is the best time to gather some general knowledge and ahem ahem, some Bollywood gossips too!

It was one of those less-exciting lunch times, when I was trying to keep in pace with the world, something caught my eye. I was quite stunned to see the "Most Read" section of an Indian news website, "Abhi-Ash move out of the family home" and "Kareena turns a cook"!!! Bear in mind, I remember seeing this when there was something really substantial happening in India!

It made me wonder why we are so obsessed with people's personal lives. Why the hell do we bother if Kareena cooks a vegetable curry for Saif? Also, are ladies the only culprits who buy these stories? Well, there has to be a significant contribution from the gent's side too to make it in the "Most Read" section. I am not being a feminist, but this is just a proof that the gene for "gossiping" is not only linked to XX but also to XY!! Next time, you think of ladies being gossip- mongers, think twice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment