Sunday 21 March 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird


During one lazy afternoon, I decided to google top 100 novels of all times. I opened two out of thousand search results Google had to offer. Both the surveys showed "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee to be the No.1. I quickly made a note of the book and decided to grab a copy from the library. Weeks later, I had a chat with a good friend about our favourite books. Coincidentally, she recommended me to read the same novel and she had a copy too. Thus, began my journey into the life of Scout and Jem.

The story is set in 1930's in Southern United States and explains the racial prejudices and various social stigmas prevalent in those times. The highlight of the novel is that it is envisioned through the eyes of two children - Scout and Jem. For this very reason, the book offers an element of innocence that makes one fall in love with its protagonists.

Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Jem, is a leading attorney and is appointed to defend a black man charged with raping a white girl. The symbolic representation of the mockingbird is simply striking. This book is highly recommended. You will never be disappointed reading this novel. You will surely end up with a sense of content of having read a true classic. I guarantee!

2 comments:

  1. I have bought this book but have not been able to read it yet...Will definitely give it a try now once I reach India.

    ReplyDelete