Saturday 1 May 2010

My Undying Passion!!!!

Learning to drive has been one of my dreams since time immemorial. I was determined to take my driving license on the day I turn 18. However, I was in India doing my Engineering when I turned 18 and stayed in a hostel. Well, that did not matter since my father's home is just an hour away from hostel and I enrolled in a driving institute. Things were totally different when my classes began. My instructor used to pick me up from my home and the car was filled with her students. I hardly got any space to sit, let alone to drive. Out of an hour's class, I drove for only 10 minutes. Not to mention, the irritated instructor's constant rumblings!! Finally, I got my first driving license in India. Sadly enough, since I stayed in a hostel, I never got a chance to drive a car later.

After completing my studies, I went back to UAE. Once again, I decided to take the license and with it, started the trauma of taking classes and giving tests. Tests in various forms; theory tests, hill tests, reverse tests, road tests; were nerve-wracking! The stern-faced traffic police did not help at all. Finally, the day arrived when I got my license. I was so elated; I distributed sweets to everyone around me.

The fun started when I got to drive my father's car. I agree I was very careless and my sense of Geography was horrid. The very first time, I almost hit another car. There were times I took a wrong turn and ended up stranded in the horrible traffic in Sharjah and Dubai for hours! My parents and sister thought they kept their life at stake when I drive the car. And, they were on their toes constantly checking mirrors with me. Any nick on the car would have surely stopped my driving saga.

I reached UK after my marriage. Again, I decided to hit the road and start the never-ending ordeal of getting the licence. With the license in my hands now, I can proudly say I learnt my biggest lesson - never go on a ride with your husband in the passenger's seat! If you want to enjoy the drive, go alone or you will end up fighting!

3 comments:

  1. hehe nice one anu....never got a chance to go with u as the driver...well maybe some time soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the lucky persons Sumi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...yup!!...but acha, i have definitely improved now...

    ReplyDelete