Sunday 17 January 2010

An aroma does it all...

My husband's mom is from Kottayam, Kerala. So he wanted Kottayam fish curry yesterday. Demands, I must say. Since I relish fish curry in any form, I did not mind making any kind whatsoever. Moreover, it was much easier than the Trichur-style I usually make. Well, this is not a post about fish curries. While I was cooking yesterday, the aroma from a mix of turmeric powder in water brought waves of nostalgia of my childhood days. Strange since I have never felt so before. I was taken to one of my favourite places on Earth - my mom's home in Trichur, Kerala.

Known as God's own country, her home literally lives up to the name. The gardens, the pond and the adjoining family temple completes it. The chirps and tweets of birds serve as nature's alarm beep. The only thing I hate is the loud radio which my grandmother switches on at 5.30 A.M for the suprabatham (hymns in the morning) and the news that follow. On a positive note, I tend to wake up quite early. The soft morning breeze is filled with exotic fragrance of jasmine and chembakam (white plumeria flowers). Thanks to my grandmother who is fond of gardening and cultivation of vegetables and fruits.

Our family temple, where we worship the serpent god, used to conduct pambumkalam (a ritual). The ritual lasts for around three days. The temple and adjoining garden will be adorned with flowers. A pandal (tent) will be put up, within which a kalam will be prepared on the ground. A kalam is a pictorial depiction of serpent god and goddess made exquisitely with different colours of powders such as rice powder and various other colour ingredients. The place will be filled with an aroma of these powders. The scent which still work wonders for me just like it did yesterday while cooking. I am sure my cousins would wholeheartedly agree.

A Kalam

A group of people, pulluvar, will be called to sing the hymns of serpent gods (pulluvanpaattu). They use a handmade earthen pot as a musical instrument which sounds absolutely magical. The ritual consists of offering milk and lime to the serpents. Women who are entitled to perform the thullal (dance) are made to sit in front of the kalam and will be given coconut flowers. They get hypnotised by the hymns and perform a hysterical dance just like snakes. After which, they erase the kalam with the help of coconut flowers. An incredible spectacle!

It was indeed the time where all the cousins got together at our family home. We no longer conduct the ritual. The last time I attended the ritual was in 1995 or so. The memories are vague but the fun, laughter and long sleepless nights as the events unfold are treasured memoirs to be cherished forever.

1 comment:

  1. I AGREE TO UR STATEMENTS..GOOD OLD DAYS....WE R LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAV THOSE WONDERFUL BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS...WISH TO C pambumkalam ONCE AGAIN WITH ALL OUR DEAR COUSINS...

    ReplyDelete