Saturday 3 January 2009

Reporting Scotland


From scenes like these, old Scotia's grandeur springs,
That makes her loved at home, revered abroad:
Princes and lords are but the breath of kings,
"An honest man's the noblest work of God."

-The Cotter's Saturday Night, st. 19 (1786)


Written magnificently by Robert Burns, Scotland's national bard, it invariably speaks the elegance of Scotland. Known for its breathtaking charm, Scotland has been left to scrutiny by artists for many centuries.

My thoughts go back to the very first day when I took in the sheer beauty of Scotland from the windows of the aeroplane. I was stunned by the green stretched beneath me. So picture perfect it was, just like what we have read in our novels, just like what we have seen in photographs.

When I stepped out of the flight, things were different since a cold wave hit me and I had only donned a layer of clothing. It was freezing, it sent goose bumps all over my body. If only the climate wasn't too chilly, I thought. As soon as I met my husband at the airport, the only negative thought I had quickly disappeared.

He took me to our first home. It was set exquisitely amidst the trees and a playground. I was in love with the place instantly. I had to admit my husband's sense of taste.

Not too far from our home, is the city centre which is the hub of most of the designer shops, wide range of restaurants and other shopping centres. Love walking along the beach? You have North Sea, far-extended but water so chilly you dare not to step onto it. The beam from lighthouses signalling the sailors is yet another feature of the beaches here. The short summers are the time to look forward to. Rays of sunlight, reflecting from the blue waters and the greens, add to the essence of nature's beauty.

Winters, always damp and cold, are the best times of the year where you can relax cuddled in sofa or enjoy a good book with a hot cup of coffee. We get very less snow. Snow clad Scotland is indeed a sight of serenity and calmness.

I was talking to my colleague who's of English origin but is settled in Scotland. One statement made by him really got into my head, "I would say people who always complain about Scotland being unexciting have not really explored the place". Hmm, well said and I would say "Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder".

2 comments:

  1. Good intro to scotland.
    drhanish
    http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/drhanish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the sentence about how your negative thoughts disappeared when you saw the love of your life.Well said dear and may that be the case forever and ever.Amen!

    ReplyDelete